Thursday 3 April 2008

I got back yesterday from a crazy few days in Amsterdam and got to see Velvet Revolver's final show with Scott Weiland as vocalist














I returned from a few days in Amsterdam and had a great time and was very lucky that by coincidence, Velvet Revolver were staying in the same hotel and I finally got to meet Slash and Scott Weiland, who are two of my favourite rock stars of all time! A surreal moment happened when I was by the hotel reception last Monday afternoon and the reception desk in this particular hotel (which I won't name, as many bands are known to stay there) is next to the entrance to the hotel bar and there is a photo of Slash with Duff on the wall in the bar that is clearly visable from when you stand at reception. I looked at that very photo and when I looked back, right behind me was Slash in the flesh and I never usually get starstruck anymore, but at that moment I felt ecstatic!

The rumours about Stone Temple Pilots reforming have been circulating for a while and it's true. Scott's last performance with Velvet Revolver was in Amsterdam and I was so pleased to have been there on Tuesday night. I can't wait to see Stone Temple Pilots again after so long. I actually had an encounter with Scott in our hotel just two hours before the show started and him and his friends asked whether I was going to the show. I then had the opportunity to tell Scott that out of all the live photos I've ever taken of so many bands over the past ten years, he is one of my favourites. When I photographed him onstage at Rock City in Nottingham in August 2001 with Stone Temple Pilots, those photos were some of the best I've ever taken.

I got a few of these crap photos of Velvet Revolver onstage at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam, but because I only took my small camera, they aren't the usual professional shots. A shame I never managed to arrange a photo pass for the show. That would have been amazing.

Video captures from the show in Amsterdam can be viewed on here:










































No comments: